Friday, September 14, 2007

Get over it . . .

As we go through life, some of us wonder how long new technology will be new, while others wonder why we even bother. There have been several books and articles on how we accept new technology, but some (though fewer than even a few years ago) still won't come over from the dark side.

I am especially intrigued by those who won't even consider venturing into the social networking arena, whether it be Facebook, MySpace, or LinkedIn (or the lesser networking sites), 'cause they don't want the whole world to "know their business." That's not how business is done where I am from, and the last time I checked it's pretty easy to keep most people from seeing "your business" - close it.

I first got turned on to the social networks for the social part, but stayed for the network part. Many with whom I am connected are just there for the social part . . . but at least they are there.

I don't know whether it's a fear of openness that keeps others from venturing out, but I do know what they are missing. Just today, I met with three people for various reasons. Let's call them A, B, and C. I met with two (B and C) for the first time, and the third (A) I had not seen in years. I have A and B as friends in at least one social networking site, where I post a variety of stuff "about me." I saw a drastic difference in the communication between those with whom I was "friends" already (A & B) and one with whom I had spoken on the phone but never met (C).

The first 2 conversations flowed very smoothly, I thought, but at first I did not realize why. It wasn't until later that I realized each of us had reviewed each others pages, and noted things that were important to us. I think that genuinely improved the quality of the meeting. The third conversation went well, also, but we devoted more introductory time to the meeting than we did actually discussing the reason we met, and we'll have to do a lot more follow up to finish processing the things we talked about. After writing that, I figured I should go check to see if "C" has an account -- he apparently does not.

I'd better go let him in on the "secret."

Check out this video of some old guy :-) telling his peers to immerse themselves in technology. I echo his recommendations, and suggest that those making excuses just "get over it." He's actually Brian Kardon, the chief marketing officer for Forrester Research.



So send this link to all those you that still refuse to come into the 21st Century . . . and tell them to get over it!

What do you think?

No comments: