Friday, March 28, 2008

The Nail don't hurt bad enough

Today I concluded a multiple-session meeting with a company that we were considering a partnership with, and I was reminded of a story I used on many a sales call back in the day . . .

Ben went to visit his neighbor, who had a front porch that extended across the entire front of his house.

On the porch sat the neighbor's dog, howling . . .

whooo-whooo-whooo

Ben asked his neighbor what the dog's problem was . . .

whooo-whooo-whooo

The neighbor said, "he's sitting on a nail."

whooo-whooo-whooo

Ben asked why the dog didn't just stand up instead of howling

whooo-whooo-whooo

The neighbor said . . . The nail don't hurt bad enough yet . . .

Does your nail hurt yet?

2 comments:

bleh said...

Brilliant. And very, very true.
Sometimes I wonder just how much someone's nail has to hurt before they'll even start howling, let alone stand up and move...

Anonymous said...

Well doc, I am glad that you pulled this great story from "back in the day" because with your permission I am going to be using it frequently.